Course Syllabus - download
- The basics: supply, demand, scarcity and opportunity costs.
- Macro and Micro worlds
- The lens of economics/viewing the world as an economist
- Personal Finance
- Saving vs. spending
- Stock Market Game
- Loans and Interest
- Importance of being selfish
- Why being paranoid can be a good thing
- Politics and Economics
- Theories on gov’t involvement: good, bad.
- How should gov’t be involved (if at all)
- JM Keynes, Milton Friedman, Murray Rothbard
- Looking at gov’t debt vs. savings
- Gov’t involvement in regulations
- The Fed.
- Funding of infrastructure and transportation projects
- Globalization: good vs. bad
- Economic disparity: in the U.S.; in the World; by ethnicity; religion; gender/sex; age
- How economics vary by culture: Scandinavian, German, Japanese, and American
- Advertising and selling
- Analytics and the value of data
- Corporations and their workers
- Future world?
- Company loyalty vs. nation-state loyalty
- The ‘flat world’ of the 21st century